Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Vaca


I know, it’s been like ages. I don’t really have an excuse, it’s just that I used to write when I’d first get to work (shhh, don’t tell) but now I have a job that actually keeps me busy all day. Must be what most adults deal with, and to be honest, I kinda like it. In fact, I have zero complaints about my new gig. Other than I’d like to make a bit more, but who wouldn’t?

Anyway, right now I’m on a plane with my girls on our way to California. Our first “real” vacation in about two years. Going out of town when you don’t have a job doesn’t feel like a vacation, you end up packing too much guilt and anxiety in your carryon luggage. So this is going to be a phenomenal week. We’re starting off with a few days in San Diego, hanging with my Aunt and Uncle. We’re going to hit the zoo and some other sights. Then it’s up to LA to see some cousins, and maybe apply for a job with TMZ.

Have to admit, as there’s crying babies in the seats ahead of us and behind us, (might be the next Pele behind my wife..someone call Real Madrid) the Kyd is an absolute joy to travel with. I’m looking down our aisle, and she has her Skull Candy buds in, listening to who knows what, with her head buried into her book so intently, I think she can see through pages. If only she’d take some advice and not try and pack her entire room into her backpack.

It’s an exciting trip, as my extended family has met my family a few times now, but this will be the most time they’ve spent with my clan, and I’m pretty fucking proud of what I have here .In fact, I’m listening to some Neko Case rght now, and she’s singing the perfect line, “this tornado loves you.”

Although it’s a bit odd, taking the fam with me on this trip. My LA and San Diego visits are something from my childhood, so I don’t really feel like an adult, more like I’m revisiting my childhood. Back to hour spent digging in Glen’s baseball cards, my first time on a college campus with Eric at UCLA, boogie boarding with my Uncle and taking the occasional personal art lesson. All things I get to expierence again, just from a different point of view. Gets me excited to take the fam to see other locations that house so many memories from back in the day.

I’m going to try and post a bit more on this trip, but don’t hold me to it. There’s a zoo to explore and some memories to be made. 

No comments:

Post a Comment