Saturday, November 5, 2011

Over Mr Head

Once in a while, I find myself wondering about the connection between parents and their children’s subsequent religious beliefs and political associations. My question being: how many of us have the same beliefs, either politically or religiously, as our parents?
I found a study online, by Tom Smith of the University of Chicago. His survey reports that 65% of Americans stay with the religion in which they were raised. Of the 35% who do change religions, a third of them change religions multiple times, so I’m not sure how many of them find their way back to their original religion.
Based on my observations, I feel there’s a strong correlation. Which makes me wonder: what’s the point? The two strongest institutions in our society may be largely based on how we were raised. Which by itself, doesn’t make them wrong, but it does open them up to be deeply flawed. And the evidence is overwhelming, they are both very flawed.
We turn to both for some similar answers; either moral dilemmas, legal questions and often to determine what is best for “us,” either as a country, individual or family unit. As a country, we claim there’s a legal separation between church and state, but if you watch any election race, religion is always a central issue.
Obviously, since these are two strong forces in our lives, our parents’ beliefs will be reinforced, almost every second of the day as we grow up. The dinner table conversation, the television viewing choices, careers, hobbies and social circles we grow up around are directly influenced by our parents’ political and religious beliefs.
But as a “free” society, we absolutely have the right to make up our minds for ourselves; I just don’t think we do that. This isn’t to bash religion or politics, but I’ve figured out one thing about both: since there are so many different beliefs within both, they can’t all be right. They can, however, all be wrong. So maybe this is one of those times where we shouldn’t just listen to mom and dad.
I’m conflicted, because I know it’s impossible to prevent this from happening. Much as it’s impossible to prevent our race or sex from helping to shape our opinions and experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment